To enrich the community through access to library services and cultural opportunities.
Photo of Peter Q. White
Library Founder, Peter White
Peter White Public Library c1905
Peter White Public Library (PWPL) is located on the corner of Front and Ridge Streets near downtown Marquette, Michigan. Founded in 1871, the Peter White Public Library has served Marquette area residents for more than a century.
The Peter White Public Library (PWPL) was founded by Peter White and located within the City Hall. At that time, he donated “the sum of $4,000 to found a public library in the city, to be under the government of five trustees and $1,000 to be expanded in the purchase of cases and in completing a room in the new city hall.” Mr. White always provided space for the Library. It was later housed in the First National Bank Building on the south corner of Front and Spring Streets and later still in the Thurber Block on Washington Street where Book World now stands. The school district library and Peter White’s private library were combined on March 27, 1891, by a special act of the Michigan Legislature, to become the Peter White Public Library. By October 1895, the Library was outgrowing this space, and White began the effort to construct a new library building.